by Sigona's Home Deliveries:
April 13, 2021
We love artichoke season and grilling might be our new favorite way to cook and devour them! This recipe is simple and requires only a few ingredients. The key to this recipe is using fresh lemon and locally grown artichokes from the "Artichoke Capital of the World!", Castroville, California. The mild, coastal temperature and Mediterranean climate in Castroville are similar to this Italian vegetable's native home across the Atlantic, which is why it is the home to most of the California artichoke farms. At Sigona's, we source our artichokes from Pezzini Farms and Ocean Mist Farms, both of which have been in business for decades and take great care to grow best-in-class artichokes.
2 or 4 globe artichokes
Two garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper
⅓ cup Sigona’s Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- Wash the artichokes, pat dry, and cut in half. Using scissors, snip away the sharp tips of the artichoke leaves and trim the stems' thick outer layer with a sharp knife. Rub the lemon wedge all over the cut artichokes to slow down the oxidation in the leaves.
- Once you've prepped the artichokes' exterior, it's time to cut out the fuzzy chokes. Using a metal spoon or a sharp paring knife, remove the fuzzy centers and soft artichoke leaves. Remember to rub lemon over the interior section!
- Fill a large pot with 1-2 inches of water and insert a steamer rack. Place the artichokes halves cut-side down on the rack, add the bay leaf, whole garlic cloves, and cover. Steam for about 20 minutes (this is dependent on the size) until you can pull off the outer leaves. Transfer artichokes to a plate.
- While the artichokes are steaming, prepare the grill. Using a pastry brush, brush the Sigona's Tuscan Herb Olive Oil over the artichokes and sprinkle with salt. Transfer the artichokes to the grill cut-side down.
- Cover and grill for about 5 to 10 minutes until there are grill marks on the artichokes.
- Serve hot. Add more lemon juice or dip the meaty leaves in your favorite aioli. They're also delicious on their own!