Italian Veggie Orzo Soup
by Sigona's Home Deliveries:
Dec. 29, 2020
This Italian Veggie Orzo soup is the perfect comfort meal on a cold winter evening. It’s delicious, hearty, and comes together in 25 minutes with little cleanup. You can put your own twist on it by adding in cannellini beans or chickpeas. Make this the next time you’re in a hurry to put dinner on the table or when you need to use up some veggies in the fridge. We hope you enjoy this Italian-inspired soup as much as we do!
Cook Time: 25 minutes Servings: 4-6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 14-ounces can finely chopped tomatoes (we used Mutti Pomodoro)
- ½ squeezed lemon
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- black pepper and salt
- Parmigiano Reggiano to top
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add in the diced yellow onion. Cook for 3 minutes. Next, add in the carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, lemon juice, orzo, and all the spices, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes until orzo is al dente.
- Add in the washed baby spinach and cook for about 2 minutes until wilted. Add black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and top it off with Parmigiano Reggiano!